All you need to know about signalling devices
Signalling devices and systems are used to convey simple messages concerning the operation of machinery, manufacturing lines or individual industrial equipment. It is difficult to imagine a properly functioning industrial plant without an appropriate low-level optical and audible communication system.
In this article you’ll find answers to the following questions:
- what does the law say about industrial signalling?
- what are the types of signalling devices?
- how signalling control is performed?
Industrial signalling and the law
Industrial signalling and its scope are precisely defined in national legislation. According to the law, both manufacturers and users of industrial machinery are obliged to use signalling elements. These components must provide reliable warning signals (audible or optical) in situations where the health and life of people in the surroundings of a machine is threatened or equipment malfunctions or defects occur. They should also indicate the machinery operating status. The messages conveyed must be clearly visible and unambiguous.
National directives usually define the types of visual and acoustic signals relevant to the communication of specific information. Therefore, signal columns and other signal devices are adapted to national standards.
Any signalling device at the workplace must be installed in such a way that danger information can be seen from any place covered by the system. Often, this requirement leads to the need for installation of additional signalling lamps.
National standards also regulate situations where both alarm and warning signals are used on the manufacturing line or machine. In this case, and in situations where workers cannot see the warning signals (e.g. because they wear filter goggles or welding masks at work), the dangerous signal must be twice as strong as the warning signal.
Colours of signal columns and signalling devices are precisely defined. Deviations from the standards are allowed, but only in the case of information messages that comply with the procedures of a given plant or machinery manufacturer.
What are the types of signalling devices?
There are optical, audible, as well as optical and audible signalling devices available on the market. Below, you will find the description of each of these types.
Optical signalling devices
The most commonly used optical signalling devices include lamps and signal columns (also known as signal towers). Both lamps and columns may be used not only as components of industrial signalling systems in manufacturing plants, but also in logistics, transport, sports or public facilities, e.g. in access control systems.
Signalling devices in the form of signalling lamps are simple optical warning devices equipped with a light source of sufficient power – usually LEDs, halogen or xenon lamps. An example of such a solution may be the KLAXON SIGNALS PSC-0002 signalling device.
The construction of signal columns can be divided into two types: modular and compact. Modular signal columns allow for the flexible selection of the appropriate version, which is precisely tailored to the needs and specific character of the workplace. When choosing these devices, you can freely select the colours of signalling lights and add or remove certain components. In addition, the modular signal columns facilitate quick assembly, disassembly and possible expansion of the system.
Compact signal columns are ready-made solutions with predefined functions. An example of a functional compact signal column is the WERMA 69811075 model.
The most popular types of signal columns include those with diameters of 30, 50 and 70mm. When choosing a column, you should pay attention not only to the number of colours of optical elements, but also to the type of housing, its IP class, operating temperature range or mounting method, and, above all, the electrical parameters.
Audible signalling devices
Audible signalling devices inform about an incident by means of an acoustic signal of appropriate intensity and modulation. The signal may have various forms, e.g. a buzzer, siren, continuous or intermittent sound or a bell. Sounds outputs of up to 90 dB are allowed for general purpose warning systems, while those of up to 130 dB can be applied in manufacturing halls and other industrial applications. WERMA 14015050 is a perfect example of an audible signalling device in the form of a siren.
When choosing an audible signalling device, you should consider not only the intensity of the emitted sound and the method of its signalling, but also – as in the case of optical signalling devices – the IP rating and operating temperature. When selecting a device, power supply voltage and electricity consumption will also be important parameters.
Optical-audible signalling devices
They are used in signalling systems, technical installations, industry and special applications in other industries that require double signalling.
Optical-audible signalling devices are equipped with two transducers (usually piezoceramic), which allow independent operation of the sound and visual signal.
How is signalling controlled?
Control of the signalling module must be consistent with the control outputs available in a given application or automation system.
As a standard, analogue control is implemented in the signalling columns in the resistance or voltage version. In the most modern solutions, manufacturers use digital control (low-current signals with two logical levels are supplied to the column inputs).
Control of signalling devices is a common functionality implemented in almost all motion controllers, which makes the installation of columns on manufacturing lines quick and easy.
|18-980500||Signalling device: optical-audible; 17÷60VDC; Colour: red; IP21|
|69811075||Signalling device: column; continuous light; Supply voltage: 24VDC; LED; IP65|
|14015050||Signalling device: audible; siren; 9÷28VDC; 115dB; Series: 140; IP65|
- Up to 15% off for AUPO thermal fuses
- Promotional Rohde Schwarz sets are now available at TME
- Competition: announcement of the winners of the HARTING and TME competition!
- The new catalogue of Workshop Equipment is now available
- New catalogue of connectors now available at TME
- The new catalogue of housings from the TME offer is now available
- How does an accelerometer work and what is it used for?
- All you need to know about signalling devices
- How to clean battery contacts?
- Multipurpose enclosures – how to use them?
- Save space with RMQ Flat Design
- HARTING - patch cords with RJ45 angled connectors
- Industrial network installations — a closer look
- How to safely discharge a capacitor?
- Steel ropes and associated accessories
- Reliable detection with photoelectric sensors
- Robotics and hobby in TME Catalogue
- NEW DC/DC converters from TRACO Power
- Automotive power accessories
- Laser rangefinders – How do they work? Which one should you choose?
- How to check an electric power system?
- How to equip your workshop?
- Precise measurements with FLUKE testers and multimeters
- FIBOX – plastic enclosures for every occasion
- Optical fibre cable – everything you need to know
- How to choose the best enclosure – 7 tips on what to look out for
- Installation and programming of RGB LED strips
- How to examine air quality?
- All you need to know about HDMI cables
- Torque wrenches
- Fiber optic cables
- How to pick the best soldering iron?
- AM20CWR-ZK series, 20W DC-DC for railway applications
- Automatic identification with ELATEC RFID readers
- Wide range of ESP32 modules
- New C&K products available at TME
- Encitech. Standard connectors for special applications
- TIB-EX series power supplies – for operation in extreme conditions
- Microchip Technology - Total System Solution.
- UPS-P4-A10-08128 single-board computer by AAEON
- UPS units for industrial applications
- MHL technology – images from your phone on a large screen
- What is CPR Directive and what are its potential consequences?
- Non-volatile memories from MICROCHIP
- What should be considered when choosing cable ties?
- How to decipher the IP protection rating?
- Optimal choice of cables for power chains
- Choosing the right cables and inverters
- Criteria for choosing cable glands - threads, mounting method, diameter
- Selecting the appropriate Ethernet patchcord
- Transformer as an element of household power supply units
- Characteristics and criteria for selecting memory cards
- Fiber optic patchcords and pigtails
- Selecting an inductive sensor – different diameters and outputs
- Control cable selection guidelines
- M8/M12 connectors from TE Connectivity – reliable industrial communication
- U-blox solutions for wireless communication
- How to choose the right power supply unit for your application?
- Automation components and passives from PANASONIC available at TME
- ZP series of hermetic enclosures from KRADEX
- Engineering materials available at TME
- CHAUVIN ARNOUX measuring instruments
- More than 60 years of experience in design and manufacture.
- Omron – professional solutions for industrial automation
- AX-160IP multimeter from Axiomet
- Analogue multimeters from Axiomet
- Axiomet AX-595 multimeter
- Axiomet AX-102 multimeter
- How to connect an electric motor to an Arduino platform?
- Data acquisition and Industry 4.0
- Nichicon capacitors in the TME offer
- TME EDU KIT rev.2. – innovative educational tool offered by TME
- An ecological change in the KONTAKT CHEMIE offer
- Reliability in safety applications with DILMS contactors
- Check Brainboxes solutions for the industry
- 12th International Robot Competition Sumo Challenge
- ROBOCOMP festival in Kraków
- Robocik Student Club takes part in the RoboSub competition in the USA
- TME Education supports the Kenyan representation at the FIRST Global Robotics Challenge
- European Rover Challenge featuring TME teams
- An underwater robot made its debut at the European Robotics League competition
- TME joins the SHENZHEN ELECTRONIC CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
- TME Education at TechFest 2.0. in Tanzania
- Greenfield – a new huge investment near Łódź
- Iron Warriors at the Shell Eco-marathon
- Inventors Month with TME Education – community changemakers
- A team of students from Wrocław University of Science and Technology at Spaceport America Cup 2019
- Iron Warriors' great performance at the Educ Eco Valenciennes 2019
- Droniada 2019 – the team of Raptors wins the 3rd place
- JetStream group conquers the United States
- The first part of Robolid 2019 – our summary
- Polish Robotics Group – summary of the season
- TME supported the 8th edition of EastROBO
- The Hype Poland project accelerates
- B-Human wins the RoboCup German Open
- JURABOT Mobile Robot Competition – a summary
- Cosmic achievement of students from Wrocław
- Robomaticon 2019 supported by TME
- Raptors Team at European Robotics League 2019
- TME becomes a CEDA member
- TME becomes a strategic partner of Hyper Poland
- TME EDU KIT rev.2. – innovative educational tool offered by TME
- Maker Faire Bilbao 2018
- Robots supported by TME conquered Wrocław
- 7th edition of the International Robot Tournament EASTROBO has ended
- TME becomes a sponsor of the JetStream group
- Raptors finish on the podium of World Robot Summit 2018
- Victory of Lodz Solar Team
- Raptors Team at European Rover Challenge
- The University of Edinburgh Hyperloop Team at a Los Angeles competition
- Raptors team with their Mars rover at the University Rover Challenge 2018
- RoboCup Montreal 2018
- Robot SUMO competition for children
- Baltic Robo Battles 2018
- TME sponsors the 2nd edition of JURABOT
- PCz Rover Team wins at the Utah desert
- The Grand Opening of TME's office building
- TME sponsors Polish Robotics Group Foundation
- TME sponsors Robomaticon 2018!
- We're launching the TME Education YouTube channel!
- Our Team’s Success at International Robot-Sumo Tournament
- TME supports PWr Diving Crew
- Lodz Solar Team at a prestigious race in Australia
- TME sponsors the anniversary RoboChallenge competition
- TME sponsors the OSHWDem in Spain
- Raptors among the winners of ERL Emergency Robots competition
- TME sponsors the Sumo Challenge 2017
- Innovation is the basis of our operation!
- PWr Aerospace makes it to the podium at the Global Space Balloon Challenge
- TME EDUCATION Project
- B-Human team wins the world championship again!
- Further successes of PWR Racing Team
- Our Team’s Success at RobotChallenge 2017
- Polish team wins the Formula Student Italy 2017
- Our team finishes 1st in Barcelona with their LEM Falcon motorbike
- TME – a partner of BattleLab Robotica 2017
- TME, one of the sponsors of the European Robot Challenge
- Rovers sponsored by TME among the best in the world
- Yet again, TME has supported a competition for Hungarian students!
- TME sponsors Eastrobo 2017
- TME partners the Tricity Robot Tournament
- TME supports the Cyberbot 2017 robotics festival
- A successful start by a team supported by TME!
- TME sponsors ROBOLID 2017
- TME sponsors the Robotic Tournament 2017
- TME supports young constructors from Lodz University of Technology
- TME sponsors ROBOMATICON 2017!
- TME supports the GROM Association
- TME now distributes FORTEBIT products
- Modern ANTAIRA communication solutions now available at TME
- TME distributes FESTO products
- TME now distributes HPX tapes
- TME becomes an authorised partner of BROTHER
- TME becomes an official distributor for MUELLER ELECTRIC
- TME now distributes RECOM products
- MITSUBISHI products available at TME
- TME becomes an official distributor of MYRRA products
- TME becomes an official distributor for SCHMERSAL
- BITNER cables available at TME
- TME now distributes CELDUC products
- TME now cooperates with RADER
- TME is the European Regional Electronic Sensing Distributor of the Year 2018 for Honeywell SIOT
- TME becomes a global distributor of H&D WIRELESS
- TME is now a distributor of Swiss manufacturer EAO
- TME now distributes products of Tewa Temperature Sensors
- TME now distributes ZETTLER products
- TME becomes a distributor for ELPROTRONIC INC.
- ORING technical sealing components available at TME
- TME becomes a distributor of ANAMET EUROPE
- NTE Electronics semiconductors in TME offer
- TME is a distributor of HMF CHEMICAL ADVANCED MATERIALS products
- TME becomes a distributor of STÄUBLI brand products
- TME becomes a distributor for RITTAL
- RETEX housings in TME offer
- TME becomes a distributor for PANASONIC
- TME becomes a distributor for IXYS
- OPTIBELT products on TME's offer
- TME enters into cooperation with AUTONICS
- ORNO electrical installation accessories on TME's offer
- TME becomes worldwide SoMLabs distributor
- TME becomes a global partner for UnitedSiC
- Ambersil chemicals available at TME
- CDIL products available in TME’s offer
- TME enters into cooperation with WeEn Semiconductors
- TME enters into co-operation with MPC INDUSTRIES
- TME becomes a global distributor of SCHURTER products
- TME becomes u-blox catalogue distributor
- Arduino is back in the game
- TME becomes a distributor for TRACO POWER
- TME cooperates with Wisva Optoelectronics
- TME becomes a distributor of IQRF Tech
- TME enters into cooperation with Marquardt
- TME enters into co-operation with FIREANGEL
- TME enters into cooperation with HT Hi Tech Polymers Oy
- TME cooperates with CHAUVIN ARNOUX
- TME now distributes GRINN products
- TME cooperates with Italtronic
- TME becomes a distributor for ECCEL
- TME enters into cooperation with ELEKTRO-PLAST NASIELSK
- TME has become the official distributor for TDK
- Cooperation of TME and C&K
- Bulgin acquires Arcolectric
- STANNOL solders in TME’s offer
- TME enters into cooperation with SPELSBERG
- TME enters into cooperation with TEKO
- TME cooperates with SIGI
- Infineon Technologies in TME
- SKF in TME’s offer
- TME co-operates with BM GROUP
- TME enters into co-operation with Futura
- TME enters into co-operation with FAVIER
- TME becomes a trading partner for PCE
- TME enters into cooperation with HUMMEL
- We extend our offer of ATMEL products!
- TME becomes a distributor for GigaDevice
- TME becomes a distributor for APPA
- TME has become a distributor for Pico Technology
- TME has become an official distributor for PANCON
- TME has become a distributor for WIRELESS-TAG
- TME becomes a distributor for RF SOLUTIONS
- TME has become a distributor for Adesto
- TME extends cooperation with Littelfuse
- TME partners with ABB
- TME has become an official distributor for Brainboxes
- TME has become a distributor of Everspin Technologies
- TME becomes an official distributor for Alpha Wire
- TME becomes a distributor for Testo
- TME becomes a distributor for Total Phase
- TME becomes an official distributor of OHAUS
- Powersem – New Semiconductor Power Modules in TME’s offer
- Turkish language version of our website
- TME’s webpage available in Japanese
- 3D models in the TME catalogue
- TME service with HTTPS
- TME’s website available in Hindi
- TME’s webpage available in Chinese
- Invoices available in PDF format
- Product Comparison Tool now at TME!
- Slovenian page on the occasion of the anniversary of TME - it is the 25th flag
- New Quick Buy is now available!
- Changes in the regulation of the use of e-invoices
- The system of notifying about products availability
- New product pages "INFO" on TME website
- 22nd. language version www.tme.eu
- eService – the new on-line payment system
- TME takes part in LUMI Expo
- Visit TME at the trade fair in Coventry
- Let’s meet in Belgrade at the Sajam Tehnike fair
- Visit TME at the Electronics & Applications 2019 fair
- TME participates in GR-EX for the first time
- ElcomUkraine Fair with TME
- TME at SEPEM Industries fair
- Visit TME during Electrosub fair in Budapest
- TME participates in WIN EURASIA fair for the first time
- Let's meet at Middle East Electricity in Dubai!
- India Electronics Week again with the participation of TME
- Let’s meet at Southern Manufacturing&Electronics industrial exhibition
- TME at the China Electronics Fair in Chengdu
- TME at the Eliaden trade show in Norway
- Meet TME experts during the TEC seminar in Warsaw
- Visit TME in Buenos Aires during FIMAQH 2018
- TME at the ExpoElectronica trade show
- TME at the China Electronics Fair
- TME at the SEPEM Industries trade show
- TME at the AUTOMATICON fair 2018!
- TME at Middle East Electricity fair
- Meet us during the INTRONIKA fair
- TME participates in India Electronics Week for the first time
- We will be exhibiting at the Southern Manufacturing & Electronics fair
- Brand new TME Career site
- Arduino Day with TME Education
- Let’s celebrate Arduino Day together
- Do you know that...
- New TME building
- TME awarded by Diotec Semiconductor
- TME among the TOP 5 Employers of the City of Łódź
- TME wins another Forbes’ Diamonds award
- TME awarded by Aimtec